Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) has many symptoms, including mood swings, tender breasts, fatigue, irritability and depression.
Symptoms usually start 7-10 days before the period starts and often go once the period has ended. More severe symptoms of PMS can be defined as PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) which can be affect daily functioning. Symptoms can fluctuate in both cases, some of the typical symptoms are;
What are the symptoms of PMS?
- Bloating in the abdomen
- Pain in the lower back
- Constipation or diahorrea
- Food cravings
- Fluctuating moods
- Joint pain
- Low libido
- Tender breasts
- Brain Fog
- Weight gain
- Problems with sleep
What causes PMS?
- Changes in hormone levels
- Poor diet consisting of processed foods
- Low vitamin and mineral levels
- Alcohol and caffeine
- Poor balance of blood sugar levels
NSAID’s like ibuprofen are usually used to reduce pain and other pain reducing medications are offered to reduce cramping but all have side effects and are not long term solutions to hormonal imbalances. Functional medicine helps to get to the root of the hormonal imbalances.
Things you can do:
- Eat a more plant-based diet. More vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds help to manage PMS symptoms by balancing blood sugar levels, reducing inflammation and increasing minerals such as calcium and magnesium and vitamin K which help cramping.
- Avoid processed foods – anything that is trans-fat or hydrogenated fat can exacerbate PMS symptoms.
- Avoid endocrine disruptors. These are chemicals that affect the natural hormonal balance in the body. Some examples are BPA in plastics, pesticides in non-organic foods, phthalates in chemical cleaning products and personal care products so switch to low toxic, environmentally friendly, organic brands.
- Try essential oils – clary sage helps to balance hormones. Try 2-3 drops in a carrier oil and massage into the abdomen.
What can Functional Medicine do to support?
- Functional testing to determine your hormonal balance. Excess oestrogen can cause many PMS symptoms which can be linked to increased need for liver support, bowel motility and toxin exposure reduction.
- Personalised dietary plan with supplements and herbs to help balance hormone levels.
- Dietary advice to address nutrient deficiencies.
- Lifestyle suggestions to help reduce xenoestrogens in the environment and help to manage stress which can deplete nutrients further and can exacerbate hormonal imbalances.
5 Pillars of Functional Medicine
PMS and Functional Medicine
Do you suffer from PMS and have tried all the usual approaches?
Functional Medicine can help you, simply book an online consultation or arrange a free 15 minute discovery call and ﬁnd out how we can help.