Here are a couple of delicious recipes to keep you warm and nourished as we go into the winter months. A light, delicious super green soup, full of green vegetables to support liver function at this time of the year and a hearty minestrone packed with lentils and dark green leafy veg that is a super simple nourishing supper.
Two Nourishing Winter Soups
SUPER GREEN SOUP WITH CASHEWS (serves 4)
1 garlic clove
Veg bouillon made up for 1 litre of water
100g baby leaf spinach
Sachet of coconut cream
2 tbs Olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper
1 litre boiling water
- Trim the leek and cut in half lengthways. Rinse to remove any grit under a tap. Slice as thinly as possible. Trim the courgettes and chop them into small cubes.
- Warm tbs oil in a large pan, add the leeks and courgettes with a pinch of salt. Cook on a medium heat for about 5 mins until soft.
- Peel and crush the garlic and peel and chop the potatoes into small chunks. Fill your kettle and boil it.
- Add the garlic to the leek and courgettes and cook for 1 minute before adding 1 litre of boiling water with the bouillon powder stirred into it and the potatoes. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Toast the cashews for 2 -3 mins until golden and fragrant. Leave on a plate to cool.
- Once the potatoes are soft add the spinach to the pan and cook for 3 mins until it has wilted.
- Pour into warmed bowls and top with swirls of the soya cream.
MINESTRONE SOUP (serves 4)
1 yellow pepper
1 garlic clove
400g tin of green lentils
125g gluten free spaghetti
2 ½ tsps. of ras al hanut
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
100g cavolo nero
Bouillon powder made up for with 1 litre of hot water
2 Tbs olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Dice the carrots. Halve the pepper and scoop out the seeds and chop to match the carrots.
- Add the oil to a large pan and add the veg. Cook for 8 mins until soft.
- Meanwhile peel and crush the garlic. Drain and rinse the lentils and break the spaghetti into small 2cm long pieces. Fill and boil the kettle.
- Once veg have softened add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Add the ras el hanut, the chopped tomatoes and 600ml hot water from the kettle.
- Bring to a bubble and then add the lentils and the spaghetti with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pop on a lid and simmer for 10 mins or until the spaghetti is cooked.
- Meanwhile trim the cavolo nero and discard the thick stems. Shred the leaves as finely as possible. Once the spaghetti has cooked add the cavolo nero to the soup and cook for a further minute or two until it has wilted.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of yogurt.